Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. The Holy Face of Lucca (Volto Santo di Lucca) is a venerated wooden corpus of a crucifix, located in the free-standing octagonal Carrara marble chapel (the tempietto or little temple), which was built in 1484 by Matteo Civitali to contain it; the image in its tempietto stands in the right-hand nave of the Cathedral of San Martino in Lucca, Italy. Medieval legends stated that it had been sculpted by that Nicodemus who assisted Joseph of Arimathea in depositing Christ in the tomb and specifically dated its arrival in Lucca to AD 742. The year 742 marks the arrival of the Volto Santo in the Basilica di San Frediano; its transferral to the cathedral, justified by a miraculous translation in the Latin legend, De inventione, revelatione ac translatione Sanctissimi Vultus may be connected with the episcopacy of Anselmo da Baggio (1060-70), who presented it at the consecration of the new Romanesque cathedral, 6 October 1070.
Holy Face of Lucca
Miller, Frederic P. e Vandome, Agnes F. e McBrewster, John